Ben, Shauna, Emily, Andy, Jenny, Anna and Becky
So my second year at the U of I, I realized quickly how important spring break was. And if you were going to be a cool college kid, you needed to plan and awesome spring break. Well, with the help of BJB, that is just what we did. I asked him if it would be cool if I brought a few friends with me for the week in Virginia Beach. Well Ben was always known to be accommodating and he said of course you can! (It didn’t hurt that they were all super cute girls- something Ben sure did appreciate…) So, I gathered up 3 of my best college friends: Anna, Becky and Jenny. Andy and Shauna were also on our trip making it a grand total of 6 house guests for Ben and Drew for an entire week in VA beach. So in usual Ben Becker style he plans a very fun filled week of going to the beach, going to the concert Better than Ezra, dining out with all of his Navy friends, and touring aircraft carriers with JDG. Frank even flew in for the weekend, and Keri also joined us for an evening. But the night that really stands out is St. Patrick’s day. We decided to go to the Irish pub for dinner, before any of us girls got checked for ID’s. Now keep in mind, this is just our second year of college, so most of us were just 20. But we got into the pub no problem, and enjoyed a very eventful dinner with our big group of friends. And then as the evening progressed, all of us girls found ourselves a bit tipsy. I remember Ben standing with Andy up above in the pub’s balcony just shaking his head… you know that look where he would cover his eyes, and shake his head… and just look up with that face like “really?” “Did I really just let my sister and all of her friends get wasted underage in this bar?” Well the stories only get funnier from here, but Ben decided it was time to go just after I told some of the Navy pilots that I was studying to be a “heart surgeon.” That’s right, a heart surgeon. Not a cardiologist or something that sounds intelligent. Ben got us home safe and sound and to this day there are lots and lots of funny stories to go around from that crazy night in VA beach.
BDK, Em, Jenny and Anna Belle
Frank diggity came to make sure ALL of us girls went into the ocean. Lets just say it was a bit of a struggle when it came to be my turn. I almost won... but clearly I'm drenched in this photo!
Brain, Shauna, Jenny, Anna, JDG, Andy, Becky and me
At the airport- clearly saggin.
On the way to the beach!

Ben was always up for showing me and all of my friends a good time. He bent over backwards for everyone in his life to make them feel special. Like the time when Mariko and I went to visit him, and he took us shopping. Instead of dropping us at the mall like any brother would, he shopped for over 4 hours with us. When we were in Express, he told us both to pick out our favourite pair of jeans and then he proceeded to purchase them for us. When Riko and I had overspent the budget, he carefully noticed what things we liked, but didn’t purchase. After we flew home about a week later, we both received packages from Ben in the mail. Ben had sent me the jean jacket that I had my eye on, and sent Mariko a sweater she loved but didn’t ever buy. The card read “next time you pack your things up, you should be a little more careful about leaving stuff behind. Thanks for the visit. Love, Ben.”
Riko and BenJ dogg and I somehow convinced our parents we would be fine travelling alone across the country when we were just 17. (How did that ever happen??) We went out to see him in Maryland the summer before our Sr. year of high school. Ben mentioned that there was a small chance he could finagle up some tickets to Reba McEntire… When we arrived at the airport he informed us that he did find tickets, but they were horrible seats in the nose bleed section. J and I didn’t care at all, we were just so ecstatic to get to go to such an awesome concert. When we arrived at the concert, we saw where our seats were on the grass, quite far from the stage. But then Ben said “well, lets just go check it out closer to the stage…” So J and I followed him wondering how exactly we were going to get up there. He flashed his tickets to the attendant, who then escorted us to the 3rd row, dead center. We enjoyed the concert awe struck that we were so close to Reba, and amazed that Ben was generous enough to spend well over $200 each on tickets for his litter sister and her friend.
I didn't have a digital camera for our trip to Maryland, so this photo is out of place...

No comments:
Post a Comment