If not for the adventure we have been living in Polokwane, I would have never:
I would have never known what it was like to live in Africa. It's an intimidating thought in itself to pack up 2 suitcases of clothes, pack the rest of your life and you belongings neatly aside, and move away from home. But this is AFRICA! I would have never known that Gregg and I could create a wonderful and fulfilling life here, amid lots of challenges, and love every day because of the opportunities unique experiences. It's so great to know we can pick up and move continents if we need to, and what a fun adventure it is.
I would have never known what it is like to drive a quick two hours and arrive at the gates of Kruger National Park. We get to camp, sleep next to a hyena, see the zebras and giraffes at their water hole at 6am, and to enjoy raw African nature just like the discovery channel.
We would have never met Eugene and Charmaine. A couple who kindheartedly took us in like family. Helping us get settled in the community, helping us network, and helping me get a 'real' job at Seeff. We enjoy weekends away, Sunday afternoon dinners and lots and lots of Whimpy coffees together.
I would have never known what it was like to start a yoga business in a foreign country. Trying to market my yoga to a variety of religions, cultures, races and belief systems, while only knowing a handful of people from the community is difficult to say the least. My learning curve was a steep one as I realized what worked and what didn't work. I slowly gained a clientele, and am making some really great friendships throughout this experience.
I would have never met Kate. Kate has become a good friend very quickly as we share the overwhelming experience of leaving a familiar life behind for a new adventure is some place called... polo... what? Polokwane! Kate was placed in Polokwane for a university program in geology. Kate has become my coffee/yoga buddy and I think our friendship will stand the test of the Atlantic ocean!
I would have never understood the diverse complexities of South African cultures: I've never really known how to broach this subject, but thoughts swirl in my mind about making sense of the racial tensions in this community. The diversity ranges from whites, blacks, coloreds, Afrikaans, English, Sepedi, Tsonga, Venda, people who have an opportunity to become educated and become professionals to people who might go hungry some nights, buildings, and apartment complexes, corrugated tin and a cardboard roof. Lets just say it's 'hectic.' And the people of this country strive to make a democracy, and a unity all under the South African flag. However, like any cultural melting pot, people don't always get along. I have experienced and witnessed some very powerful segregation, opinions and differences since I have lived here... and it's an experience you gain when you live in a place, rather then just visit a place. I understand the difference between being an outsider and making quick judgments, and being an insider and really seeing for myself the complexities of this nation.
I would have never spent so much time with my awesome husband: Gregg and I have been spoiled with a schedule of 5 days on/5 days off. This means that every 5 days we get to hang out and spend really quality time together. That, combined with being the only person both of us have to turn to has solidified our relationship, our bonds, and our marriage. I never knew Polokwane would be such a blessing in disguise for us as a couple. Christy told me I could expect this, and she was right. For being a chopper pilot, we have spent every single night together except for one... and that is a rarity in this profession. For that, we are grateful.
I would have never seen Africa, the places, the sights, and the beauty like I have now. Most weekends we travel to game reserves, the coast, to visit friends and family, camping, hiking, biking, fishing... we are taking advantage of the situation and making the best of it. We are spoiled, and have had the luxury of multiple vacations this year.
I would have never appreciated home and my family as much as I do now: When you are away from home, of course you miss your people. When you don't have your usual creature comforts, you really begin to miss them too. The things I miss the most are my kitties, my duvet, grapenuts, my cellphone, cheap internet, our soft and fluffy couch, carpet, the bachelor, …
I also don't know if I would have ever seen my mom's true strength unless I moved miles and miles away. She is self sufficient, strong, and doing incredibly well. I'm so proud of her, and each time I skype or write her she has wonderful updates about her life, the family, babysitting Jaycee and Dawson, and re-creating her life. I love you Mom!! You are the definition of a r.o.c.k.s.t.a.r.
I would have never met Melody. The second day I was here I called Melody in hopes of using her dance studio space for my yoga classes. It worked out quite serendipitously that she also needed help teaching ballet to her dance students. I became the Tuesday teacher, and was lucky enough to help with their end of the year program. I am also assisting in choreographing several dances for their South African Championships competition in April. I love the students so much, and will keep in contact with many of them. It feels fantastic to get into dancing again. What a blessing it is for my soul.
I would have never met Simone, my lovely South African friend! I met Sim through Guy and Justine and we had an immediate friendship. If Sim and I were neighbors I'm quite certain we would be hanging out each day.
I would have never started a blog! I thought it would be way to cheesy to start a blog, unless I had a really good reason to start one. Well Polokwane gave me the inspiration to blog, to write about my experiences, and to delve into some intimate stories about my dad and brothers. This blog has been a brilliant source of therapy for me, and I love it, and love my readers. Thank you all for listening to my stories and my thoughts!!!
Such an amazing experience you are having! Soak it up & trust that your friends will all be here waiting with open arms when you come back home.
ReplyDelete~Adthebad
Em, what has been amazing for us is to "watch" from afar, thru your blog, as you heal and grow into the most amazing woman! One word that comes to mind is RESILIANT. You are simply that and so much more. You have chosen to embrace this roller coaster called life and live it to the fullest. Your experiences, though hard, are shaping you daily. You are a witness to all of us what a choice it is to make the best of the hand you have been dealt. We LOVE YOU EMMY-you are one special lady! Thank you for allowing us to share this most special journey with you. Your men would be MORE than proud of the woman that you have become!
ReplyDelete