Thursday, May 5, 2011

Johnny Clegg comes to Encinitas!

 Why do I love this guy so much?? Well, he's South Africa and I sure do love those South Africans... but there is a cute story behind this guy. When I went to Botswana back in 2006 to visit Jess Ward we went on a little road trip from Maun to Francistown (5 hours) to get the infamous stamp in her passport (that's a whole other story...) So Jess had borrowed a car from a friend and we learned quickly that the radio was broken, and there was one CD in the player... JOHNNY CLEGG! So what did we do? Memorized the cd of course! Our favorite song was "I'm searching for spirit of the great heart'' and for those of you that were at our wedding you just might remember it. You also might recall Jess Ward and I saying to each other "are you still searching?"

I'm searching for the spirit of the Great Heart
To hold and keep me by
I'm searching for the spirit of the Great Heart
Under African sky
Sometimes I feel that you really know me
Sometimes there's so much you can show me...

 I was so sad Gregg couldn't come to the concert with me. He would have loved the vibe and all of the South Africans! Since Gregg was working I invited Denise.... and I'm pretty sure that Densie and I were the only Americans at the show.

 These pics were taken just after our faboulous roadtrip back in 2006. Miss you Ward face!!!
And yes, yes, I'm still searching!

1 comment:

  1. Emily!!! I am SOOO jealous that you got to see Johnny Clegg in concert!! That is so fabulous and I am so happy that you were able to go. I was definitely thinking of you and searching . . . Did he sing Great Heart? And Orphans of the Empire?? I feel as though we have to be his #1 fans on this continent. Certainly worthy of a backstage pass ;) I miss you so much. All my love to you and Gregg!!

    ReplyDelete