Thursday, June 27, 2013

30 day REAL food challenge week 4

Week 4

As my real food challenge comes to the end, I'm just a few days from turning 30. I realize that I have actually learned a lot about myself with this silly challenge. I have been abiding by the rules for the most part (especially in the first two weeks) and bending the rules to justify the packaged goods when need be. Bottom line, just because I'm a nutritionist doesn't mean I'm perfect with my diet (or a 30 day real food challenge.) Just as I tell my clients, being perfect with your diet isn't any fun, or very sustainable.

This past month has been a great way for me to create more awareness. Though I certainly had moments where I cheated and ate food from a package, I tried to upgrade my food choices whenever possible. From the homemade margarita mix to my ice cream 'milkshake,' I definitely think I made some lasting changes that I will continue in my daily life. 

This challenge has been a great reminder that just because packaged goods come from the health food store, it doesn't make them healthy. As I'm re-stocking my pantry with packaged goods I'm examining the ingredients with a fine tooth comb. Sugar seems to sneak it's way into many items, and it's really paying off to read labels and know exactly what I am eating. Another low quality bad-for-you ingredient that is almost everywhere is soybean oil. Creating awareness around what I was actually consuming daily was crucial. A simple tip is: if you can't pronounce it, then you shouldn't eat it. One of the best parts about my real food challenge was, I didn't have to worry about poor food quality and cheap ingredients making it into my diet because most everything I ate was fresh and unprocessed.

As for my 80/20 rule, I think I did pretty well. Besides my few alcoholic beverages, the other places I needed flexibility was with packaged tortilla chips and brown rice wraps. I occasionally used a collard green leaf as a tortilla, but I kept reaching for my favorite brown rice tortillas. Other packaged goods that made their way into my challenge were a few crackers, some 70% cacao chocolate and special occasions when I added half 'n' half to my coffee. 

One go-to quick meal was: sauteed vegetables in chicken bone broth. I love to make a bone broth from scratch in my crock pot, and then freeze the broth into ice cubes. I take a few cubes and add it to some fresh cut vegetables. This adds amazing flavor and nutrients to whatever you are cooking. I often had the veggies with a baked or grilled chicken breast. I found that preparing ahead was an incredibly important part of the challenge, and I made sure to always keep some baked chicken in the refrigerator. 

My biggest victory over the past month was my solutions for sugar cravings. This week I rediscovered an old favorite treat: frozen raspberries, drizzled with warmed coconut butter, topped with cacao nibs and a sprinkle of coconut sugar--simple, easy and very satisfying. It was the perfect treat following dinner, when my desire to snack is the worst.

Just as I had hoped, I noticed a pretty awesome energy shift while doing this challenge. As my diet became cleaner, my energy was better. There were a few afternoons where I considered taking a nap with my new baby, but I felt so great that instead, I used my time making his baby book, blogging or reading some new books. I have also noticed a difference in my skin. It is clearer and brighter than before. The dark circles under my eyes are gone, and I truly do feel refreshed. I'm so pleased that I took on this challenge during a pivotal time in my life. 

Eating real food shouldn't have to be a challenge, but unfortunately in this day and age it is just that... a huge challenge. My new found awareness has not only been a huge benefit to me, but also my new baby boy. As this challenge has come up in conversations, I believe I have inspired a few friends and family members along the way to think about their food in a different light. Perhaps it will do the same for my readers.

Emily Potter
Clinical Nutritionist, Holistic Health counselor
www.nourishmintwellness.com



No comments:

Post a Comment