Thursday, June 6, 2013

30 day REAL food challenge

Last month, I was inspired by a podcast that I listened to and they mentioned a 30 day real food challenge. I was intrigued by this idea- and thought it would be a really fun and challenging experience for me to undertake. I started April 20th, and finished on my birthday May 20th. After sharing my idea at girls night, one of my friends asked me if I would be willing to blog about my experience for the company prAna. They thought it would be an interesting read considering I'm a new mom, nutritionist and yogi... So here it is! I will add the link to prAna when they publish it.


30 day real food challenge Blog: Prana
Emily Potter, Clinical Nutritionist
www.nourishmintwellness.com

Week 1

“Real food is things that your great-grandmother would recognize.” This quote by Michael Pollen gave me the idea and inspiration to embark on a 'real food' challenge. What does that mean? Well, It's really simple. Just eat real food! Nothing out of a package, nothing processed. Going into the challenge I thought that would be fairly simple, as I am a Clinical Nutritionist and a yogi. With my background and education, I typically eat a very healthy and nutritious diet. Much to my surprise, eating real food is a lot harder than it sounds--and it's only been one week.
Other motivations for this challenge include my new role as a mom! I had a baby boy just five weeks ago and am currently spending my days on maternity leave. I'm getting to know him, and of course, I am breast feeding. I'm enjoying the simplicity of each day. Another inspiration to my challenge is that in 30 days, I will be 30 years old. The timing makes perfect sense.
So what are the rules of a 30 day real food challenge? Well, first let me note that it's a 'challenge' and not a 'cleanse.' That left me room for error, as I didn't want to put pressure on myself with all of the big changes in my life. I teach my clients about the 80/20 rule, which means eighty percent of the time, eat what is healthy and what you know is good for your body. Twenty percent of the time, life happens. Drink the wine, eat the chocolate etc. Well, because I just got off of a 10 month 'detox' from alcohol (since I was pregnant) I wanted to let alcohol be my 20 percent. I realize that might sound crazy for a real food challenge, but it's my challenge-- I get to make up the rules, and I have been LOVING my occasional glass of red wine.
This week I have learned to keep it simple. Eating real food is simple. Organic fruits, veggies, animal products, raw dairy products, seafood and seaweed, nuts, seeds, gluten-free grains, beans and natural sweeteners are all real food which is allowed. I am also having juice (only if I juice it myself) as well as coffee (that is organic, fair trade.)
The first three days were easy. I chose a few new recipes including a spaghetti bolognese made with spaghetti squash as the pasta and homemade sauce that I whipped up in my Vitamix. I also made a delicious green juice to last me a few days. On the fourth day of the challenge, the sugar cravings hit. I'm not sure if it is because of the breast feeding and craving more calories in general, or the fact that I had been so good the previous three days, but these cravings came back with vengeance. I was sitting on the couch with my husband, watching a movie and all of a sudden, I had to have an ice cream milkshake. (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that ever does that, right?) So, I went to the kitchen, opened up the freezer door and stared at the ice cream. It was taunting me like kids in a playground at recess time. However, I was committed and I was not going to break. Not this early in the game. I promptly whipped out the vitamix yet again and added 6 ice cubes. I poured in some raw milk, coconut butter, raw cacao powder and honey. I blended up what appeared to be a milkshake! I decorated my 'milkshake' with raw cacao nibs and coconut. It was delicious!!! What a breakthrough. I proceeded to have one of those each night for the next 5 days, and I'm certain I have stumbled upon something amazing. It completely satisfied my craving for ice cream and in many ways I thought it tasted even better. Success!
Another challenge this week was snacking. We spent Sunday at the beach for the entire day and packing for an all day beach picnic was more difficult that I thought. I wanted to throw in my Mary's crackers, some protein bars and maybe even a cookie or two. Of course all of those things come straight out of a package. Instead, I made a quick kale and quinoa salad, tossed in a whole avocado, grapes, homemade trail mix and a... Blue Moon beer. Hey, I said 80/20! Besides the fact that eating an avocado with a spoon is a little tricky at the beach, I ate all real food with the exception of my Blue Moon.
Overall, the week had it's challenges, but I would call it very successful. I created some new recipes, and am feeling like my energy is coming back--despite the many sleep deprived nights with my new baby. I'm looking forward to week number two!

My favorite green juice recipe: (all ingredients organic)

1 cucumber
1 bunch celery
1 bunch kale
1 handful of romaine
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
1 lemon
2 green apples


Vitamix Ice cream:
6 large ice cubes
½ c raw milk or coconut milk
2 T raw cacao powder
2 T coconut butter
1 T raw honey

Optional toppings: Raw cacao nibs
Unsweetened coconut

Blend above ingredients in Vitamix until thick and smooth. Top with optional toppings.


No comments:

Post a Comment