(I'm telling you, this Blog Christmas Card thing is really great, and saves on postage!)
It's hard to believe that Christmas will be knocking on our door steps in one short week. I have to say that living in sunny California is almost as deceiving as living in South Africa when it comes to the season of Christmas. Our past year has been an incredible one with lots of opportunities, adventures, changes, and huge transitions. I have to say it feels really good to have our home set up in Encinitas, our couches and our cookware, our bed and our pictures on the walls. It feels good to know we can finally be a bit more settled. It seems like a lot longer than five months ago that we were living in Polokwane. I look back on that chapter in our lives with such a big smile on my face. I remember saying years ago that my biggest fear was monotony. Well, this year was far from monotonous.
There are lots of highlights of the year to mention, but the biggest is certainly Gregg getting a job in the USA! It's been quite a transition from Polokwane to San Diego, but we could not be happier with our new little home in Encinitas. It makes me smile that Gregg and I talked about San Diego the first night we met, and here we are!! Our home is a cute 2 bedroom condo with a yard and a garage (aka the man den.) We couldn't ask for a better place to live, and all we need now is visitors!
Another huge highlight was my family coming to see us in South Africa. From taking them to the top of Lions Head the first day on the tour (3am their time) to being nearly chased by an elephant, we had an absolute blast together. It was such a special trip to be able to show them Gregg's life, friends and family and his special places. I hope our friends and family will continue to visit SA with us.
Another huge highlight was my family coming to see us in South Africa. From taking them to the top of Lions Head the first day on the tour (3am their time) to being nearly chased by an elephant, we had an absolute blast together. It was such a special trip to be able to show them Gregg's life, friends and family and his special places. I hope our friends and family will continue to visit SA with us.
Of course the Blue Angels in Idaho Falls was another huge highlight. I still picture the jets painting the skies of my hometown and get tears in my eyes. The significance of that weekend was huge for us, and I know that Ben was smiling down. We were able to share the fun and excitement of the Blue Angels with the Weisser family, and lots of the Beckers and Reids. That weekend we also got to celebrate our Godsons birthday which combined with fly fishing and horse back riding with the Blue Angels made for a pretty incredible weekend. We also had the opportunity to join the Weisser family for Frank's last show with the Blue Angels in Pensacola. Hanging out with Ben and Kendall was an absolute blast, and I am pretty fearful that the next time I see Kendall she will be smarter then me. The Weissers treat us just like family and we are so grateful to have them as such a huge part of our lives. They move to Cali in March, so we will get to see lots more of them!
Gregg likes his job very much and has been so positive and optimistic regarding all of the adjustments of settling into a new company, not to mention a new country. His schedule of 7/7 is working out well, and we try to play hard when he is home. We take advantage of the beach being a quick 3 minutes away, and Gregg will insist on surfing if the waves are good! Sunday mornings we head to the beach for some touch rugby with the South African group.
I am absolutely loving my course in nutrition at my holistic health school, and am inspired to diversify my yoga business with nutrition counseling. I am currently researching additional training and perhaps a masters degree in the near future. This past week I met the owner of a yoga studio in Del Mar and she invited me to join her team of instructors. I know this is a huge door opening for me, and in just a few days I have made some great friendships. I'm also enjoying my YogaFit teacher trainings, and have learned so much about the company and what it takes to be a trainer for the company.
Mom came to see me in San Diego in early November, and it was so great to be able to invite her into our home, where she could sit on our couch! We enjoyed some fun mother/daughter activities (aka shopping) and really enjoyed just hanging out together. I hope she visits frequently now that there isn't an ocean separating us.
We look forward to next year as we will be celebrating the marriage of Craig and Leigh in South Africa! We will be there for about 2.5 weeks and already have the trip planned down to the day with events, friends and family. I feel so lucky that we get to go back so soon... thanks Craig and Leigh! I can't believe how much I miss being in South Africa, and it's almost like I didn't know how much the place and the people grew on me until we left. I made some of the closest friendships over our year there, and feel so close with Gregg's family. We are incredibly lucky to have so much love and support in both places.
Of course my heart is a bit heavy around the holidays as I think of Dad, Ben and Andy. It has been a bit strange living in San Diego knowing this is the last place that Ben lived. It seems like it was so long ago that Ben and me joked about my plans to come down here to be his roomie and hang out with his 'cool friends.' It is so strange to me how 5 years can feel like 5 days, and 20 years all in the same day.
We hope our 2011 brings us lots of visitors from South Africa and Idaho! We have a guest bedroom so if you are reading this you are invited to stay with us! We hope your holiday season is a festive one, and that the new year brings you lots of JOY.
Love, Em and Gregg
How about guest visitors from WA?? Love the Christmas card! Thinking of you guys lots.
ReplyDeleteLove your Christmas card! We want to come visit! We thought about February but since you will be gone let us know when a good time would be!
ReplyDeleteLove, Tim & Lisa